Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Field Trip


So this is pretty much where I was today. Don't recognize it? This isn't the most popular view of it, but one that we got to see a lot of after 9/11. This is the Pentagon. Being a supervisor, I don't get out in the field very much anymore, but today I scheduled a check ride that took me down to the Pentagon and Pentagon City. I was up before the crack of dawn since I was going to metro in and link up with one of my field staff in Pentagon City. I got dressed in my "agent" garb, which really consists of nothing more than a suit, and headed out. Now normally I work out of my "field" office (home) so my typical outfit tends to be a bit less formal. I also don't get out into the field very often anymore so I was looking forward to it. As I boarded the metro, I pulled out my book (Jawbreaker, see previous post) and started reading. I had to transfer in Roslyn and grab another train to my destination. I hopped on the train and before you know it we emerged briefly from the dark tunnel as the train comes above ground for a short distance. To my left I see the Washington Monument and to my right is Arlington Cemetery and I catch a glimpse of the Pentagon before we return under ground. And wouldn't you know it, it hits me. I'm living in Washington D.C. and I am on my way to the Pentagon. Now I've had to go there before and I used to work at the State Department and I have actually been on a security detail for Colin Powel and President Bush, but it's been awhile and I guess I tend to forget all that goes on in this area. A boyhood tingle of adrenaline kind of ran through me as I felt the inside pocket of my suit coat for my badge and creds. He I am, a guy from a town of about 3,500 in MN and I am on my way to the Pentagon with credentials and a badge from a federal agency - damn that's cool! Before I let this go any further, let me say that my job is not all that exciting, and I am not some super agent or anything, but why crush that feeling right away. As I got off the train, I looked around at the men and woman who accompanied me off the train and I looked at them in awe. You see, I know my job but I don't know theirs...they could be super agents! And that was good enough for me. I met some cool people today, with cool jobs (at least to me) at cool places. It made me realize something else. September 11th had a profound effect on me and it was a strong contributing factor for moving out the DC and getting involved in this kind of work. The overall purpose of what I do often gets lost in the mundane details of the everyday part of the job; I'm sure that even happens to super agents. We are trying to get set to move back to the Midwest and that has been my sole focus. But today reminded me that I have seen and experienced more cool stuff than I ever could have imagined growing up in a little midwestern town. For a second, I was almost thought of reconsidering the transfer back to the Midwest. Then I remembered the 24 hours a day 7 days a week gridlock traffic and came to my senses. I am going to miss it here, though.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that feeling. A friend visited from Missouri a year or two ago, and I played tourist with her. We took the metro, rode the tram around the monuments and ate hot dogs at the kiosks. Our Nation's Capitol is beautiful and living here every day, we forget it.

I envy your trip yesterday.

3/09/2006 05:09:00 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

Bryan, when are you guys planning on moving back? Will it be to Minneapolis? Boy, it would be great to see you guys again!

3/09/2006 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger bk said...

Looks like we will move back to the Cities sometime between May and July.

3/09/2006 07:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I got dressed in my "agent" garb, which really consists of nothing more than a suit, and headed out. Now normally I work out of my "field" office (home) so my typical outfit tends to be a bit less formal."

No pants?

3/10/2006 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger bk said...

no pants? perhaps.

3/10/2006 11:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home