Monday, January 01, 2007

Currently Reading

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

A biography of abraham Lincoln as well as his three opponents for the Republican nomination for President. Even though they were opponenets, Abraham Lincoln recognized the talents and skills and made them members of his cabinet once elected as President. So far this is a fascinating book about 4 men who had unsurpassed discipline and drive. It is also amazing to read about the close relationships these men developed with other men; men who they could share their inner-most thoughts, fears and dreams. The depth of their relationships goes far beyond what most people ever achieve today outside of their marriage. Some historians have gone so far as to hint at possible homosexual elements, but there is no evidence to prove any of those theories. I think most of these theories come from historians looking at these men through a 20th century bent rather than taking it in the context of the time when these men lived. Nonetheless, they had very strong and affectionate bonds with men they trusted beyond what anyone in our "enlightened" country can fathom.

I would bet that most people have never heard of William Seward, Salmon Chase or Edward Bates. These were the three men that were challenging Lincoln for the Republican nomination. I certainly had never heard of them. In the history of our country, these men would put most Americans to shame in their pursuit of knowledge and dedication to their own improvement and their families. Most of these men rose above significant challenges and devistating loses. Chase lost three wives and three daughters by the time he was 44 years old.

I feel as though I have only cracked the binding on this book and I have already learned so much. A letter Chase wrote to his sister sums up the fortitude of these 4 men.

"What a vale of misery this world is. To me it has been emphatically so. Death has pursued me incessantly since I was twenty-five...Sometimes I feel as if I could give up - as if I must give up. And then after all I rise and press on."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home